Saturday, December 15, 2012

How to find motivation!

Sometimes it is almost impossible to find motivation to get yourself out the door to do a workout. This was the case for me this last Sunday. I was to do a 1.5-2 hour bike ride followed by a 20 minute run. Usually I don't have a problem getting outside unless I'm really tired, which I guess may have been the reason this last weekend. Friday and Saturday my family and I spent all day moving furniture. I don't know if you've ever had to move furniture but it can be quite taxing. Plus, you end up getting sore, especially your back! The weather also wasn't very inviting. It was overcast and a bit misty with no signs of sun and around 48 degrees.

I actually don't mind having to run in weather I just described, I usually rather enjoy it. But I do have a hard time wanting to ride in this weather because usually the roads are wet and I'm always freezing when I start on my ride. However, I could've taken the option of riding indoors. But I did not want to have to do my long ride inside and deal with being absolutely bored and soaked in sweat! So since the weather was at least decent enough to ride in and not pouring, outside I went. I have actually been lucky enough that all my long rides as of yet I have been able to do outside, but there's still many more months of rain to come! So I'm sure I will end up inside for a few of them. Ok, enough of the excuses for me not wanting to go for my bike ride. The question is how did I find the motivation to finally get out and do it!?

Well, to be honest my family was a big help in pushing me to go do my ride. They kept saying I'll feel better once I do it or if I don't I will feel guilty (I had these same thoughts going through my head). And that is the truth! I'm sure if I had decided to take the day off I would have been fine (fitness wise) but would not have been psychologically. I did not want to have to deal with that so I finally got up and starting on the motions of putting on my bike shoes...helmet...glasses...gloves... etc. Now I was finally outside and ready to mount my bike and take off. As said earlier, I was rather cold as I started on my ride, but I knew I would get warmed up pretty fast because after a mile I had about a 1.4 mile hill climb.




I ended up finding another hill to climb later on in the ride. I had never ridden it before but am glad I did. I feel it made the ride worthwhile and fulfilling. Especially since it was tucked in a forest. Nature always makes me feel good and in a way rejuvenates me. I'm so glad I decided to ride outside and wasn't a pansy by riding indoors or just completely taking the day off.
However, since it took me so long to get going on my ride my run ended up being in the dark. I guess this will serve as a reminder for me that even if I don't feel like doing my workout I should try and find the motivation a little earlier in the day! Or maybe that will be my motivation :)  That is one thing I love about summer....the long days where it doesn't get dark until 9pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment