Monday, November 19, 2012

Alpaca Excursion!

I suppose I am going to have to admit an embarrassing fact about myself that I would prefer to keep hush, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has suffered from this. This little fact is that I will sometimes over look little details that can have quite an affect on what you are trying to achieve. Maybe I should just call this a blonde moment?


Anyways, since my family and I were in Eugene yesterday for my race it is most efficient for us to do our errands at the same time since we live so far away. And of course, to have fun while we're doing it! The one thing that I wanted to do was to get some alpaca or wool yarn. I decided this year that I would make my Christmas gifts for my family. I am definitely not an artist like my sisters, so the only thing that I can really do (besides triathlon) is knitting. I am by no means an amazing knitter. I pretty much only know how to do 3 different kinds of knits, but I can still make cool projects with those.

It will be a slouchy beanie
Most of the bigger craft stores, such as Michaels, only carry the crappy yarn (acrylic) which forces me to look for specialty stores. The reason I do not like this yarn is because it can very itchy and is low quality. Sure this yarn is great for certain projects like slippers, pot holders, etc, but I'm doing pieces that will be near the face, therefore soft and warm yarn is essential. Thus, alpaca is perfect!

We were in Eugene so I decided to look up yarn stores that would have alpaca. There was about 6 or 7 that showed up. I went through most of them and looked to see if they were open, and as it turns out most of them are closed on a Sunday. Who would have thought! But there was one that I found, Aragon Alpacas, that was opened and the name looked very promising. Therefore, we punched it in our GPS and off we went. As we were headed that way we started moving out past the city, and it was turning more country. Then we started to question (or rather my family started to question me) if this was in fact a yarn store. So I looked it up on my phone and did a little further reading, and apparently they just sell the actual animal, Alpaca!

At least we didn't make it all the way out to the place, but it would have been fun to see the Alpacas. Perhaps, some other time when our actual plan is to look at the animal!

1 comment:

  1. Would have been worth while to check the animals out. I wasn't even aware of their existence until today...!

    ReplyDelete